- International Business Law
- Cross-Border Financial Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances
- International Banking and Finance
- Strategic Business, Finance and Transactional Planning
- Asset Protection Planning
Robert Masud, Esq. is the President and Chief Executive Officer of Masud & Co., PC, an international business law firm based in Boston, Massachusetts, with offices in Miami, Florida, that is dedicated to providing cost-effective solutions to its clients in the fast paced, ever-changing world of international business and finance. Robert brings vast experience in all aspects of international business law, cross-border financial transactions, private equity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, international banking and finance, and strategic business, finance and transactional planning for U.S. and foreign clients. His clients include a foreign government, multinationals, investment banks, merchant banks, investment fund companies, financial services providers, investment syndicates, law firms and individuals of significant wealth.
As President and CEO, he is responsible for providing strategic leadership for the Firm and establishing long-range goals, strategies, plans and policies, and the Firm's day-to-day activities, of counseling clients and managing staff.
Throughout his career, Robert has received numerous prestigious honors, which include being named 2017 American Law Firm of the Year for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by Corporate Vision, his recognition in the Top 100 Registry, Who's Who in American Law, Who's Who in the World, Who's Who in America, and Who's Who in Finance and Business among others. Robert attributes his success to drive, patience, integrity, passion, self-confidence, communication and the vast experience he gained while serving as an associate at Kelley, Drye & Warren LLP.
Robert also advocates the value of a firm educational foundation. He received a Bachelor of Business Administration with a concentration in finance from the University of Miami, a Master of Business Administration degree with a concentration in finance from the University of Miami School of Business, and a JD degree from Boston University School of Law with a concentration in commercial law where he was a member and published in Commentaries: Law Journal. Robert was later admitted to the Florida Bar and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Bar, the Supreme Court of the United States and several U.S. District Courts and U.S. Courts of Appeal, and he is also a member of the American Bar Association, the Inter-American Bar Association among other bar associations. In addition he maintains an active philanthropic profile within the community and donates to charitable, educational, and religious organizations. In his spare time, Robert's interests include travel, international cultures, reading and being in the company of his wife, friends, and family.
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 05/1987
- University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida
- M.B.A., Master of Business Administration - 1987
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Accounting
- University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida
- B.B.A., Bachelor of Business Administration - 1982
- Honors: Alpha Lambda Delta, Phi Eta Sigma, Recipient: University of Miami
- Honors: Honor Scholarship, Faculty Scholarship
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Finance
- Massachusetts, 1989
- Florida, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1995
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1989
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1991
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
- American Bar Association, Member
- Boston Bar Association, Member
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- Inter-American Bar Association, Member
- International Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- National Republican Congressional Committee, Honorary Chairman, 2002
- Dole for President New England, Co-Chairman, 1995
- Dole for President Exploratory Committee New England, Co-Chairman, 1995
- Massachusetts Republican Party 1994-1995, Deputy General Counsel
Current Employment Position
- Chief Executive Officer
- Masud & Associates, Principal , 1990 to 2011
- Kelley Drye & Warren, Associate, 1987 to 1989
- Marquis Who’s Who in American Law, 2000 – Present
- Marquis Who’s Who in the World, 2003 - Present
- Marquis Who’s Who in America, 2005 - Present
- Marquis Who’s Who in Finance and Business, 2008 – Present
- Listed Top 100 Registry, 2013
- Listed, Top 100 Registry, 2017
- 2017 American Law Firm of the Year for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by Corporate Vision Magazine
- Special Financial Envoy, Republic of Ecuador
Classes & Seminars
- Panelist & Moderator, American Bar Association, YLD Section on Art, Entertainment and Sports Law, "Legal Issues in Art Theft and Art Fraud Cases" Annual Meeting – New York City, New York; August 7, 1993
- Representation of the Republic of Ecuador in resolving securities and international banking issues with the Office of the U.S. Vice President, U.S. Department of the Treasury and other domestic and international agencies.
- Representation of U.S. merchant bank on all types of financing agreements and financing structures, both on-shore and off-shore.
- Representation of U.S. private equity firm on numerous complex commercial loan matters arising from international transactions with Australia, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
- Primary lawyer responsible for negotiating loan agreements as large as US$ 7.5 Billion on behalf of U.S. private equity firm with Dubai World, the state owned holding company, and its real estate subsidiary Nakheel Properties, during the financial crisis in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Representation of a joint venture in organizing its multinational private security contractor business, design of its banking and financial systems, and negotiation and drafting of all agreements in connection with its provision of Latin American private security contractors to Blackwater Worldwide, a U.S. defense contractor, providing private security services to U.S. State Department personnel deployed in, and their multiple facilities located in Iraq
- Representation of a domestic investment bank in connection with the arrangement of a master guarantee to secure annual debt service repayments for bond offering in connection with the development of world’s tallest building.
- Representation of a domestic investment bank in connection with financial advisory leading to the assignment of the first public credit rating of a university in Latin America by a major institutional credit rating agency which is the first of its kind to date.
- Representation of a domestic investment bank in connection with a US$ 135,000,000 Inter-American Development Bank private sector A/B loan for an educational institution in Latin America which is the first of its kind to date.
- Representation of a domestic investment bank in connection with a US$ 200,000,000 bond issue and placement for a university in Brazil which is the first of its kind in Latin America to date.
- Representation of numerous domestic and international financial institutions in project finance.
- Represented lenders, including Chase Manhattan Bank, Chemical Bank, Manufacturers Hanover, Banco Espirito Santo, Banco Sabadell, Union Carbide and Continental Can among other U.S. and foreign financial institutions, their holding companies and affiliates and major non-bank financial companies in connection with significant complex commercial financial services litigation matters.
- Represented U.S. Merchant Bank subsidiary and personnel in lawsuit brought by 63 former investor plaintiffs, during the course of an eight year litigation and three month U.S. District Court trial (D. Massachusetts) resulting in dismissal.
- Represented Vatican based foundation since 1998 in a series of financial transactions and eleemosynary activities.
- Panelist & Moderator, American Bar Association, YLD Section on Art, Entertainment and Sports Law, “Legal Issues in Art Theft and Art Fraud Cases” Annual Meeting – New York City, New York; August 7, 1993.
- Government of Ecuador
- Continental Can
- Union Carbide
- JP Morgan Chase
Fraternities or Sororities
- Phi Eta Sigma
- Alpha Lambda Delta